Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Being a grown up

For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be older than I was. When I was 5 I wanted to be older and tall enough to go on the bigger rides. When I was 10 I wanted to be 12 so I could watch certificated films, and even at 17, I wanted to be old enough to not get ID'd to buy lottery tickets and not get shouted at by truancy police. Now suddenly I'm given maturity on a 'Patrick Marber' plate and I'm slightly scared as to whether I can actually pull it off. As of last Wednesday I became 'Alice' one quarter of the play 'Closer'. She's fiesty (check) out spoken (check) a little flirty (LOL check) and begins the play at the age of roughly 23 (er...) that's not the 15 year old role that I'm used to. I'm now 21. Old enough to do anything really, but there's still a part of me that wants to be young and bubble wrapped. I just didn't realise until recently how hungry that part was. I want to live with McBride, but still want to be close enough to smell my bathroom after Steffi has had a bubble bath. I want to leave Portsmouth. But part of me wants to ride on the fail safe number 23. I still make a wish every night on the star that seems to hang over my house. Is that what mature adults do? I'm not sure. The play and part are amazing and I can't wait to get stuck in. I just hope I don't cock it up by acting too 'McFarley' like.

No comments: