Sunday, November 28, 2010

Weather

It's Snowing. A lot!
~*~
McBride and I were sitting watching 'Children Of Men' (a very good film I think) and I looked towards the window. The curtains are quite thin and there's a street light over the road. "The light outside looks funny, the wrong colour almost." I get up, peek out the window and let out an involuntary squeak. "it's snowing!"
~*~
The next morning, (yesterday) I had to go to work at 8. So I arm myself with snow boots, mittens, ear muffs and camera phone and set off.
~*~
It's strange how quiet everything goes when it's snowed. the whiteness dulls the traffic noise. Glasgow doesn't stop when the weather gets rough. I remember in January when snow hit the south and the whole world seemed to stop. Up here, even the blooming litter pickers are still hard at work. But all the cars, buses, drunks (it is Glasgow) and children are silenced in the whiteness. Walking through the park listening to Sigur Ros and marvelling at the frozen playground and the humorous snow graffiti. (someone had written the word 'faeces' in the snow.)
~*~
towards the city centre, the snow turns to that manky grey slush that we all know and love. and by this time, my fingers are numb. lets got to work. it's not as pretty here.
~*~
Waking up this morning to that similar silence, i sneak out of the bedroom and open the living room curtains. The shop over the road has disappeared behind the snowfall. (the stuff falling from the sky, it hasn't snowed so much that buildings are hidden, don't worry) the fir tree outside is covered in the stuff. A ready made Christmas tree. and because our street is a close and blocked at one end, no cars are coming through so the road is a flat, white, clean sheet. like a freshly made bed. pretty.
~*~
There are three ideas running through my head.
1: Snow angels in the road
2: writing CC HEART MM on the road
3: Making an army of snowmen at the top of the road to stop any cars coming in and ruining the road.
~*~
Then again, maybe I'll just make a hot chocolate and sit under a duvet and watch Muppet Christmas Carol. It's not too early is it?
~*~



No comments: