Saturday, November 07, 2009

Public Speaking

I've just spent my Saturday lunch time at a 7 year olds birthday party. Complete with 30 small children, lots of High School Musical decorations and a very tall man who would only answer to 'Adam The Magic Music Man' (I know)
~*~
My niece has turned the ripe old age of 7. I was 14 when she was born. She's the first child close to me that I've watched grow up, I mean, she was only three about 2 months ago. Really? She's seven? She's really small.
~*~
But that's not really the point of this blog.
~*~
On the way home, I was walking behind a woman with a small girl (about 4) and a pushchair with two more children tucked inside. (well, I say tucked, they didn't have much clothing on considering the temperature) She was pounding along, too quickly for the poor little one beside her. Shouting down her phone
~*~
This next bit has many blanks. Use your imagination if you will.
~*~
Nah mush, you need to go down the f*****g bank and get my f*****g money out you **** (that word doesn't even need the beginning letter, I think you can guess) I needs it don't I? Got these (children) all f*****g weekend, Sharron's round tonight and we're gonna get well p****d ain't we. And I needs that money coz my f*****g benefit ain't come fruu (bit of dialect there for you)
~*~
Now,. That's pretty much the jist. I may be paraphrasing. But this woman (well...) was shouting into her phone like this in public. with small children near by. I think there was a drug reference in there too, just for added shock value.
~*~
Now, I'm not really one to give parent skill, what with the fact I'm not one myself. But I just thought to myself, 'how dare you talk like that in front of them' I couldn't figure out what in heavens name made her believe it was acceptable behaviour in public, let alone in front of children. This girl was pretty much showing these young'uns that it was perfectly fine to swear like that. Poor kiddies. It's not fair.
~*~
What chance do those children have when they're brought up like that?

No comments: