Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fathers and Shops

I worked an 11 hour shift on Thursday. So on Friday, I was allowed to leave at mid day, only four hours after arriving. Lucky me!
~*~
I decided to meet Gary for a spot of...well, bits and bobs really. Basically, Gary an I always head into town on Christmas eve for a coffee and so Gary can pick up all his Christmas presents. unfortunately this year, I had to work on Christmas eve so the shopping trip was postponed. So i thought we could re-enact (I know it shouldn't really have an apostrophe but it looked odd without it.)
~*~
So normally, we meet at the fountain and head into Waterstones for a coffee in Costa. Then we wander through shops (staying well clear of Primark) and find stuff to wrap up. Gary usually gets confused in the Debenhams underwear department. I remember when I was about 7, we were in C and A (ah, memories) and Gary was looking for underwear. (is it odd that I go shopping with my dad as he buys undies for my mum?) A store assistant wandered over and offered help. Let's face it, We were in there about an hour.
~*~
Gary informed her he was buying for his wife. The lady asked him what size she was and (after a gesture which looked like he was holding melons) Gary said something I really wasn't expecting. "Well, I'd say she was about the same size as you love"
~*~
After shopping, we would grab a burger from the market burger van and wander home. Stopping off in the florist on the way before walking into a house that's playing Christmas songs.
~*~
Obviously, Friday was different. there were no presents to buy and no Christmas songs. But all the same, we met at the fountain an headed into Costa.
~*~
Then I introduced Gary to Lush. Which I think has become my new favourite shop. I always remember walking through Cascades and Gary complaining of the artificial sweet smells pouring out of the Body Shop. So for him to get to Lush and say 'ooh, (not in a camp way) it smells fresh in here' was a good start.
~*~
I wandered round looking at all the amazing face creams, shampoo bars and bath bombs and believed all was going smoothly until a voice bellowed from the corner (They've got bloody jelly over here!" I just smiled over at him and turned back. "AND ICE CREAM!"
~*~
"Yes Gary, it's to use in the shower"
"Ey? Shower?"
"yeah, it's like shower gel, you rub it on your body and it's nice and bubbly"
"You mean, you can't eat it?"
"no, ell you can, it won't kill you but it wouldn't taste nice. It's all body stuff. You know, Shower gels, moisturisers, that kind of stuff."
Long silence as he looks around "I thought it was a food shop."
I laugh quite loudly
"Seriously, I thought it was all food stuff. I don't understand, so it looks like food, smells like food, but I can't eat it? What?"
~*~
Bless him.

1 comment:

Cracked Actor said...

I'm with Gary on this. Lush always makes me hungry. It's a form of torture being confronted by so many delicious looking goodies and knowing that you can't eat them.